Sunday, February 10, 2008

A Quick Getaway

With friends in Belize and Peru, family in Ecuador, and everyone and their grandma taking a trip to Hawaii, we find ourselves becoming envious of all their exotic adventures. We were in need of a quick getaway. So we brainstormed, trying to think of a close destination that would SEEM like a foreign country. Then it came to us:

We headed north, to Idaho. We traveled through Napolean Dynamite's 'hood....



....and soaked in the rural scenery.


we wished we had time to sample the exotic local fare, but we continued onward....

and soaked in the exotic sunset....

until we arrived at our destination....



and soaked in 109* water.

We were pleased to find some of the local people in the pools. We were able to translate some of their conversations we overheard, and were treated to a cultural awakening. Some things overheard in their conversations.....

-"can you come help me slaughter a buffalo?"

-"When are ya gonna git 'lectricity to yer place?"

- and a very obscene conversation regarding their dog's inability to reproduce.

It was great to experience the local culture firsthand.

Colby got a little too warm.


so we said farewll
Did you really think we left Alta at home?

We capped off our journey with a stop at one of Laurie's favorite eateries.

(this photo's for you Ashbash).

the end

13 comments:

The Funderburks said...

You guys know how to put the "f-u" back in FUN! That looks like an adventure with an awesome result - HOT SPRINGS. If you can't be in warm weather you might as well be in warm water. You gotta love Idaho.

SUU's spring break is March 17-22 and so is the U's. It looks like yours is the week earlier. But the week of March 10-14 I don't have class because my professor has a conference. So, we will be here ready to play and run of to Vegas with ya!

Glenda said...

Ok Hawaii will come someday, but in the meantime way to have fun! I remember hearing you tell stories about this place before.. This is true Napoleon territory. Just roll in the cold snow,a and then jump n the toasty water. I love the picture of the two of you in the water. Also the sunset picture was just as beautiful as a Hawiaan sunset!

Ian, Kels & Lilly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ian, Kels & Lilly said...

I loved this post! We have been feeling the same way longing for and exotic vacation. I am glad you cleared things up about Alta because I was pretty curious about where she was during the fun.

Parry's said...

How fun. It is the getaways like that that are the best and most memorable. Looks so fun. You have been wanting hot pools for awhile. I am glad you finally got what you wanted.

Cali said...

ha ha ha ha ha. If I were really annoying I'd put a whole page of those (don't tempt me). That just sums it up. I'm picturing a scene of you and all the locals sitting in the hot springs as if it were the SNL skit. I sure hope you also talked about Sweet Meats!

Love Cali

P.S. I don't think our e-mails go through. I guess you and I will have to tone things down and just post on blogs... OR YOU COULD GET A NEW E-MAIL!

breezy said...

That looks so fun... we just have hot weather so that snow looks really fun to play in!!! how funny about the locals i would have been doing the same thing listening in on there whole conversation haha... but you guys are coming down what... thanks for filling me in... yep.. i miss you guys i hope all is well.
love ya. BRIE

Carly said...

ha ha ha. LOL. I love it! P.S. I actually love Idaho, truly. I tell Oliver I want to live there every single day.

mare said...

he he he. I laughed and laughed at the image of those conversations and you trying not to die laughing in the hot tub lairge. Oh how I miss hot tubs. And as always, you guys scored some sweet pics

Mama Mia said...

You are so funny! I loved this post the photos are fab! I love Hot Springs!

Unknown said...

MIS AMORES?!?!? what? they are still up and kicking??? a miracle, truly. this blog made me so happy. i love you and your keen sense of the awkwardness around you. maple hot springs... i'm not going to lie me nad todd are jealous. and the landscape of idaho and the snow is one of the most beautiful and 'exotic' things i've seen in a long time. miss you!

Bethers said...

It sounded absolutely great!!! REALLY!

Holly said...

That was the cutest blog ever and you and colby look so sexy in the steamy water. We haven't seen you two forever. We miss you. Love ya!