
For our next excitement, we are having a baby! We are so excited to welcome a little boy this June. This picture was taken in December when I was 15 weeks. I am now 19 weeks, and have a little bit bigger belly:) I really need to take more pics as we welcome our new arrival. Both of us are so happy and excited to start this new chapter in our lives.
Now for more serious updates. On Tuesday January 10, 2012, I was heading to work like any other normal day. It had been really foggy the night before, and it was still foggy as I left for work just after 7:30 a.m. I remember driving down my road and thinking how beautiful the trees were- frosted in crisp white lace. As I drove out of Paris I found myself behind a school bus and I was a little frustrated that I had to go a little slower than usual. As we went through Ovid, I looked at my clock and remembered that I was going to be late. It was 8:03 a.m. As we passed through the 'Ovid curve', I think I remember possibly wanting to pass the bus. I looked into the other lane and saw that there were cars in the distant. On a normal day, I would have passed, but I decided not to since it was foggy. I tapped on my breaks to slow down a little, and my car decided to go into the other lane. As I was doing a 180, I remember thinking, "why am I doing this? This is not what I told my car to do.' I soon realized I was going to go off the road and hit the barbed wire fence that was down the ravine. I was scared to hit the fence. Instead of stopping at the fence, I crashed through the fence and rolled my car 3 times into a field, finally landing on the passenger side. As I was rolling, I thought, "This can't be happening to me," and "when will my car stop rolling?" I was screaming the whole time. When my car stopped, I was hoisted and dangling in the air, secured from my seatbelt. I braced my feet, got out of my seatbelt, and turned my car off. I was standing up in my car: driver door above me, and my feet on the ground where the passenger side window should have been. I looked around for my cell phone, but could not find it. I remember looking around my car wondering how in the world I was going to get out. I tried to push open the driver's door above me, but it was too heavy. Soon after a lady came running to my car. I was so happy to see her and more excited that I knew her. She was in my ward, and had been right behind be the whole time. I couldn't remember her name but knew her last name was Smart. After she asked if I was okay, I said, "I know you! You're the Smart lady!" A few more people came and ripped the cover off my sunroof where I crawled out. All the glass was gone anyways, like most of the other windows in my car. When I stepped out onto the snow, my cell phone was lying right next to car with no scratches or dings. It had been on my lap and plugged into the charger during the rollover. I was extremely shaky, but not hurt. My mouth was full of dirt and glass and I remember spitting it out on the ground. I would later find little itty bitty pieces of glass EVERYWHERE: my clothes, my purse, hair, etc. They helped me walk to the road (about 50 feet away) and I sat in some one's car. As I was walking, I asked Jamie, "What happened, what did I do? Did I do something stupid?" She told me that I was driving normal, but there was black ice on the road. She saw me tap my breaks and I took off across the highway. I had no idea it was icy. Most of the people who stopped to help didn't realized it was icy until they stopped to help me and skid everywhere. The owners of the car told me that there were 2 other accidents because of the ice in Georgetown, so it would be a while before the sheriff's department would get here. They offered to take me to the hospital and I said, "Ya, that's okay, I work there." (Ummm, wondering what other embarrassing things I said while I was in shock.) I had told the people that I was pregnant and we drove 5 minutes to the hospital. I had called Colby and told him that I had rolled my car, that I was okay, and that I was going to the hospital. I remember him saying, "Should I come there?" I said, "Yes! but drive safely because it is so icy!" I don't think Colby is used to being on this side of trauma and he was not sure what to expect. It's always me running to the hospital for him. I got to the hospital and finally went into a room. The hospital was little busy that morning. They checked me out, then checked the baby, which looked fine. I can't believe how tough those little babies are! The only thing hurting on me was my head. After a few hours, that changed rapidly. I cannot believe how stiff and sore my body is. Bodies are tough, but the pain is real! I am sure every muscle was tense the whole time. I am just grateful and humbled by this experience. It could have, and should have been so much worse. It is fills me with humility to think that some people don't walk away from an accident like this. I am grateful that my car did a 180 before it rolled. The passenger side took all the impact, which spared me from more sever injury. If I would have headed off the road in the direction I was driving, I would have been really cut up. My window did not even break, and the driver's side of the car hardly looks damaged. I am so grateful I was wearing my seatbelt. I don't even want to think what could have happened without it.



This has been the most terrifying and emotional experience that has happened to me. I can't believe that I walked away from this crash. I truly feel blessed. It was so scary, and I find that I randomly cry throughout the day. Although we just barely paid my car off in November, I am grateful our little baby is okay that I only have an achy body.
Thursday, January 12, 2012
something new....
My original intent for this blog was to be a journal. I think it started out okay, but I have been failing miserably. So many things have happened since Colby's transplant, and I feel I need to document them. But, for an update, Colby's transplant is doing so well! I can't believe it. It has been over 6 months since we have done dialysis. Everyone says Colby's coloring looks so good, and he has amazing energy. He won't stop working! He is such a hard worker and I am so grateful for this blessing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
larry!!!! oh my gosh. i'm so glad you're okay. i can't imagine how scared you must've been. SO HAPPY you and the baby (BOY!!!) are okay. love you buddy!
Large, this is insane. I am so happy you guys are okay too, and that you posted this in detail! i will call you.. i bet you are so sore! love you!
p.s. and i am excited about all of your good news too!
This is CRAZY! I am so glad you two are okay. I can't imagine how scary that would be. What a miracle!
Hmmmm, so maybe Colby couldn't just put plastic bags over those broken windows... it looks really totaled in these pictures. I can't believe how one side is so much worse than the other. Can't wait for this little boy.
Cali
So glad you're ok! That must have been so scary!!
Oh Laurie! I am so sorry! I know the feeling of the roll-over crashes and chewing on glass for a while :( Sooo scary! I'm so glad you and that little baby are okay! Just know we love you and we're thinking of you!
Hey Laurie! I just wanted to tell you congrats on your new little guy! Having a baby is hard work but TOTALLY worth it! I think of you often and hope things are going well.
WHOA Laurie! I cannot even imagine. I am SO glad that you & baby are okay. What a blessing. I hope you're still okay now.
And I'm so happy that Colby is doing so well too.
Love to you, I'm glad I got to see you this Christmas.
and I can't believe you had to spit glass and dirt out of your mouth too. So scary!
Post a Comment